Thursday, February 07, 2008

So...what next?

My friends Stephen and Jared from AK stopped by England on the beginning of their TOALT (Trip Of A Lifetime (my title)). It was great and bizarre to see Alaska friends walking along the streets of Bath.

Some highlights:

Eating haggis (not as revolting as you might think)

Lunching in Oxford at the Eagle and Child (the pub where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein and some less famous authors met twice a week)

Watching SPAMALOT in London's West End (I'm never one to turn down a musical)

Visiting All Soul's Church in London and being reminded, yet again, that the body of Christ is vast and encouraging

Watching Star Trek: Voyager in the cave-like "chill-out room" at a London hostel accompanied by the sweet, sonorous slumber of Les, the old Welsh stoner.

Going by the name "Maisy" for an evening

Museums: British, Tate, Ashmolean, Maritime

Best of all: Standing at the Greenwich Observatory with one foot in the eastern hemisphere and one foot in the western hemisphere. Very exciting and not anticlimactic at all.

The boys are very laid back travelers, which suited me just fine. They've gone off now to do Paris and the Middle East.

And I'm back home, facing my looming classes.

It'll be nice to get back in the swing of things after two months of lost momentum. My context module is The Short Story and starts on Monday.

It's gonna be great!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome.
I'd like to see some pics of haggis and of your living quarters and exterior shots. please.
amen.

Katrina said...

"Maisy" is a great name. I've always known that my secret soul name is "Penelope".