Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Last Great Race.


The Iditarod is a 1,100 mile dogsled race. The race takes days or weeks depending on how fast you are. There are mandatory rest stops and volunteer vets. There are famous mushers, who have won or placed repeatedly - Jeff King, Martin Buser, Doug Swingley, DeeDee Jonrowe. There are rookies who are just out to finish with all their dogs.

I'm keeping my eye on this race. I was cheering for DeeDee - who has placed repeatedly but never won - but she was injured at Rainy Pass and had to scratch. Boo. Now I'm cheering for Lance Mackey. He's never won either, but I think his time may have come.

82 teams. 1,312 sled dogs. 1,100 miles. Crazy.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I could never do this - I just hate the cold, but the idea of me and a team of dogs... oh yeah, I could do that!!

Katrina said...

This race just amazes me! It must be quite an experience even to run it, let alone to win. Those are great photos!

Anonymous said...

Very nice photos! Could you please tell me the name of the photographer. My email is emiliesteerling@gmail.com.

Thanks!

jessi said...

Emillie,

The photos are great and I realize now that I should have credited them when I first posted this.

The dog truck picture was taken by Bill Roth, and the other by Bob Hallinen. Both are photographers for the Anchorage Daily News.

Incidentally, the ADN has great photo galleries for the past like ten races. You can find them at http://www.adn.com/photos/

Check it out!