Thursday, January 25, 2007

I think I've found my calling.

I have never been what a reasonable person would call "athletic." I have always hated that horrible ragged feeling in my chest after doing what my junior high basketball coach impishly called "sprints." I'm not a beautiful blusher. My cheeks flame red and blood pounds in my temples after way too little exertion. I can't seem to remember to keep my eye on the ball (a cardinal rule, I've been told) and my depth perception is "poor."

But I do know one thing.

I heart wallyball.
Wallyball is played four-on-four in a raquetball court. You can play off the walls. It is very hot and not very well ventilated.

I lurch and heave around the court. At times I swing my arms wildly. At times I cower and dodge the very object I am sworn to protect. But occasionally (very occasionally) I am in the right place at the right time with the right amount of warning. I hit the ball. Sometimes I score points. It's fun.

I play with a bunch of gracious people.

2 comments:

Madburns said...

i am intrigued yet confused. On one hand it sounds like something really creative and fun and on the other hand it sounds like they offer rides on the short bus to get there.

jessi said...

Flower: Of course I used an official wallyball. What do you take me for?

Burns: Trust me. You would love this game. Although admittedly it is a little easier than volleyball, it is nonetheless a fun and sporty venture. Think of it as badminton - just with less fresh air and more opportunity of getting smacked really hard in the face.